As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
Who can apply?
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Please note that In-Country scholarships for students from South Africa are administrated by NRF (https://www.nrf.ac.za/).
Duration of funding
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes.
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
For further information, please see the call for applications of the degree programme you wish to apply for.
- Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR), Subject field: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (PhD)
- University of Namibia (UNAM), Subject fields: Biodiversity Management (Master)
(In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications: daad.de/go/de/stipa10000279)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject fields: Molecular Biology and Human Genetics (Master, PhD)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject field Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- University of Witwatersrand, African Centre for Migration and Displacement (ACMS), Subject field: Migration and Displacement Studies (Master, PhD)
To get a more detailed overview of the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship programme, please click here.
The deadline for application has now passed.